Re: [OT] Re: Could be a FAQ: prepare/execute in PHP?

From: Kirk Strauser <kirk(at)nmotioninc(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: Could be a FAQ: prepare/execute in PHP?
Date: 2001-11-28 19:57:00
Lists: pgsql-general

At 2001-11-28T18:17:02Z, wsheldah(at)lexmark(dot)com writes:

> First of all, this is clearly a PHP problem, not a Postgresql problem.
> But that's ok.

Thanks. I figured that the people on this list might have a better
understanding of why this is an issue for me.

> The lack of the standard database API is one of the biggest reasons I gave
> up on PHP last Spring after trying it for a couple months. I knew that
> sooner or later I'd find myself in exactly the mess you seem to be in. No
> offense of course. ;-)

None taken! I was a Perl hacker long before I switched employment to a PHP
shop. It's a nice little language for basic web design, but not
particularly well suited to large projects, IMHO.

> Perl's DBI works pretty much the same across platforms, especially in how
> it takes care of the quoting issue you describe. There are a number of
> ways to embed perl code in html pages much like PHP, including HTML::Mason
> and Embperl.

I'm all too aware of that. I'd *love* to migrate our PHP sites to an
embedded Perl solution, but I'm the only strong Perl coder in my shop, and
we have several tens of thousands of lines of preexisting code to deal with.

> Staying with PHP, you probably want to look at magicquotes related
> functions and configuration options, and the addslashes and stripslashes
> functions. In particular, I think there's a magic_quotes_sybase option
> that looks like it may play well with postgres.

Sigh. I was hoping, no praying, that someone would say "What? Didn't you
notice the pg_set_interface_style('PERL') function?" :) Thanks for the
tipe, though. We're also looking at class.DBI
(http://evil.inetarena.com/php/DBI.php3) and php-dbi
(http://freshmeat.net/projects/php-dbi/). Wish us luck...
--
Kirk Strauser