Re: [HACKERS] Eliminating phase 3 requirement for varlen increases via ALTER COLUMN

From: Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Eliminating phase 3 requirement for varlen increases via ALTER COLUMN
Date: 2006-10-26 20:40:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

> On 10/26/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> This makes some really quite unacceptable assumptions about
>> the meaning and encoding of typmod ...
>
> True, so VARCHAR seems like the only one? That's the only one I've
> really encountered in the field on a fairly regular basis.

I think what you want is to add a new method entry in pg_type to allow a type
to declare a method to tell you whether a change is work-free or not. Then any
type, even user-defined types, can allow some changes to be work-free and some
not without exposing any implementation details outside the type.

--
Gregory Stark