PG 7.3 is five years old today

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: PG 7.3 is five years old today
Date: 2007-11-27 19:02:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

By chance I happened to notice in the release notes

Release 7.3
Release date: 2002-11-27

Man, it feels like a long time since that came out...

There has been some discussion of making a project policy of dropping
support for old releases after five years. Should we consider formally
instituting that?

I see that there are two or three minor bug fixes in the REL7_3_STABLE
branch since 7.3.20. Rather than just leaving those to rot, maybe the
actual policy should be "only one more update after 8.3 comes out".

Comments, opinions?