Re: Quality and Performance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Quality and Performance
Date: 2007-11-27 18:54:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Well I think that we do take performance into account. I agree
>> that we should *never* have a regression in performance from release
>> to release, which is what I believe has inspired this thread.

> Hmm. I have developed several features that have driven performance
> down.

Even changes that are not feature additions but intended solely to
improve performance may have corner cases where they are losses rather
than wins. I think "*never* have a regression in performance" is not
only pie-in-the-sky but would be a bad policy to adopt, because it
would mean for instance that we couldn't intentionally optimize common
cases at the expense of uncommon ones.

However, I think everybody agrees that getting blindsided by unexpected
performance dropoffs is a bad thing. We really need to reinstitute
the sort of daily (or near-daily) performance tracking that Mark Wong
used to be doing, and extend it to cover a wider variety of test cases
than just DBT-2. As an example, I'll bet that this issue of operator
lookup speed would never have been visible at all in DBT-2.