R: [SQL] UPDATE and SELECT result difference

From: "Enrico Mangano" <enrico(dot)mangano(at)nethouse(dot)it>
To: "Jean-Luc Lachance" <jllachan(at)nsd(dot)ca>
Cc: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: R: [SQL] UPDATE and SELECT result difference
Date: 2002-03-15 14:28:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

Thank you, Jean-Luc!

But now I would have another question about this:

cod | campo1
-----+---------
1 | valore1
(1 row)

cod | campo2
-----+---------
1 | valore2
1 | valore3
1 | valore4

targhettariodb=# update tab_test1 set campo1 = tab_test2.campo2 where
tab_test1.cod = tab_test2.cod;
UPDATE 1
targhettariodb=# select * from tab_test1;
cod | campo1
-----+---------
1 | valore3
(1 row)

I think the value it has chosen is random, isn't it?
So I can't have any control on it.

The UPDATE query above is semantically equivalent to this:
update tab_test1 set campo1 = (select campo2 from tab_test2, tab_test1
where tab_test1.cod = tab_test2.cod);
And this query(IMHO in a correct way) return an ERROR:
targhettariodb=# update tab_test1 set campo1 = (select campo2 from
tab_test2, tab_test1 where tab_test1.cod = tab_test2.cod);
ERROR: More than one tuple returned by a subselect used as an
expression.

Isn't this an incongruence in SQL?

Thanks,
Enrico.