Re: initdb profiles

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, aly(dot)dharshi(at)telus(dot)net, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: initdb profiles
Date: 2005-09-11 16:15:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It'd be nice to get out from under the fixed-size-shmem restriction, but
> I don't know any very portable way to do that.

Without knowing that part of the code at all it seems to me the logical
approach would be to make the fsm steal its pages out of the shared buffers
allocation. That is, you specify a total amount of shared memory to allocate
and Postgres decides how much of it to use for shared buffers and how much for
fsm.

--
greg