Re: TOAST not working

From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TOAST not working
Date: 2006-06-10 21:17:25
Lists: pgsql-general

After a long battle with technology, angus(dot)berry(at)elkenserve(dot)com (list_man), an earthling, wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I wonder if anyone can help.
>
> I have a VERY wide table and rows. There are over 800 columns of type:
> numeric(11,2)
>
> I can create the table no problem, but when I go to fill out a full row
> with data, I get the message about reaching the 8k limit.
>
> Can someone tell me if I have to 'enable' TOAST on columns to have it
> kick in. According to my research, numeric data types are toastable.

No, TOAST will be entirely irrelevant in this case. TOAST allows
large columns to be moved out of the table proper.

Thus, if you had a column containing a MIME-encoded document (as is
the case when "attachments" are put into tickets in the RT3 "ticketing
system"), the Very Large Column would get moved to the associated
TOAST table.

But this will be of little assistance when no individual column is
large.

> I'd appreciate if anyone can give me lit1e.

Perhaps your schema is poorly designed, and you should consider
redesigning it.

If someone brought to me a schema consisting of 800 columns, I'd be
inclined to strike them on the head with the Elisp reference manual in
the hopes that even if it brought no enlightenment, the concussion
would discourage them from bringing it back...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/nonrdbms.html