Re: pgadmin as main postgresql GUI interface

From: Seb <spluque(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgadmin as main postgresql GUI interface
Date: 2007-02-25 05:05:45
Lists: pgadmin-support

On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 19:54:13 +0100,
Michael Eschweiler <michael(dot)eschweiler(at)t-online(dot)de> wrote:

[...]

> You could try knoda (www.knoda.org) and/or rekall
> (www.rekallrevealed.org). Unless you don't want do more complicated
> things knoda could be a good choice (but I don't know nothing about the
> report generator - I never used it). As of my experience knoda seems to
> be a little buggy: For example if you try to trigger some code in python
> from a combobox the program executes it twice. But for simple purposes
> it should work. I tried rekall in a very early stage (2 or 3 years ago)
> but as the layout of texts in the different widgets on the screen wasn't
> that good, and as I wanted to work with larger texts I changed to
> knoda. Now rekall seems to have improved considerably and comes with a
> detailed manual.

Thanks, I should check the current state of knoda. Last time I tried it
~1 yr ago, it allowed only minimal functionality to interact with
PostgreSQL. Kexi invariably crashes in my system (AMD64) when doing
things with PostgreSQL. I tried rekall during the last few days, but it
crashes soon after connecting to a database. Some of these problems may
be happening only in AMD64. Indeed, Debian's Openoffice.org packages are
very recent, but are already more stable than the apps mentioned above.
However, it also crashes frequently during connections with PostgreSQL (or
MySQL) connections and, again, functionality is very limited.
Particularly, I'd like to have some GUI do something like M$ Access'
relationship.

In the meantime, I've also tried to figure out how to use my old *.mdb
files through ODBC directly. Basically, using unixODBC to connect to the
*.mdb from a *nix app (say GNU R for stats analysis). I've been using
Codeweavers' Crossover as I migrate things over to PostgreSQL, and this
plan seems possible:

http://www.codeweavers.com/support/docs/wine-user/config-odbc

although I haven't yet understood the last step of their configuration
guidelines.

--
Seb