Re: updated hstore patch

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us (Tom Lane), "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: updated hstore patch
Date: 2009-09-20 08:03:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> "David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
>> ... I think that this patch is ready for committer review and, perhaps,
>> committing. The code looks clean (though mainly over my head) and the
>> functionality is top-notch.

Tom> Given the number of questions in your review, I don't think this is
Tom> actually ready to commit. I'm marking it "waiting on author" instead.

I will resubmit (hopefully in a day or two) with the following changes:

- removal of the \set schema variable stuff from the .sql script
- documentation fixes as mentioned in my previous email
- additional documentation for some of the newer features
- more internal code documentation covering the handling of old formats

I'd appreciate public feedback on:

- whether conversions to/from a {key,val,key,val,...} array are needed
(and if there's strong opinions in favour of making them casts; in the
absence of strong support for that, I'll stick to functions)

- what to do when installing the new version's .sql into an existing db;
the send/recv support and some of the index support doesn't get installed
if the hstore type and opclasses already exist. In the case of an upgrade
(or a dump/restore from an earlier version) it would be nice to make all
the functionality available; but there's no CREATE OR REPLACE for types
or operator classes.

If there are any more potential showstoppers I'd appreciate hearing about
them now rather than later.

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)