Re: pgsql: doc: add examples of creative use of unique expression indexes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: doc: add examples of creative use of unique expression indexes
Date: 2020-04-20 20:21:32
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-docs

[ sorry, I'd lost track of this thread ]

> I now remember that I wrote the first IS NULL in:
> CREATE UNIQUE INDEX tests_target_one_null ON tests ((target IS NULL)) WHERE target IS NULL;
> in hope that if someone is looking for the null value in the column, the
> IS NULL would allow the index to be used to find it, while 1 or true
> would not.

Well, that's not the case:

regression=# create index tenk1_null_index on tenk1((1)) where ten is null;
CREATE INDEX
regression=# explain select * from tenk1 where ten is null;
QUERY PLAN
Index Scan using tenk1_null_index on tenk1 (cost=0.12..8.14 rows=1 width=244)
(1 row)

(Maybe it was true at some time in the past, but not any more.)

Also, it complicates the example, and since you didn't explain the
reason for the complication, I think it's pretty confusing.

But really I still don't see the need for these additional examples
at all. It's especially weird that what you want to do is have
some examples on that page have <example> markup and others not.