Re: Win32, PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32, PITR, nested transactions, tablespaces
Date: 2004-05-29 05:23:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Reality check --- why should they keep going if the stuff if appication
> is going to be months away, and these big features are going to change
> CVS significantly anyway?
>
> Let's be honest --- if they aren't going to make it, they will stop
> working hard and do something else with their time.

I subscribe to a lot of development mailing lists. This is the only place I've
seen people say things like this. You're not the only one, someone else made a
similar comment recently too.

Usually in other projects when a new development cycle starts and the tree
frees up after a release there's a rush of new features. That's when people
finally feel free to start applying all the radical changes they dreamed up
during the previous development cycle. Normally they hold off on them if
they're towards the end of the development cycle even if they're not in a
formal freeze. It just just takes time for these radical changes to settle out
and they feel more comfortable applying them early in the cycle.

This is the only place where I see hardly any movement on major items the
whole development cycle, then a rush of radical changes just before the
freeze.

It's a little weird.

--
greg