Re: Concurrency testing

From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Concurrency testing
Date: 2009-10-08 08:34:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Last time I built something to drive a huge client load (many
> thousands of simultaneous connections to a web app) I did it in highly
> threaded Java using HttpUnit from a number of separate client machines. You
> wouldn't believe what that managed to do to MySQL on the backend ;-)

Last time I've head about that kind of Java stuff, it was a JMeter
story. The webapp guys and the JVM admins were so proud that the load
test couldn't worry their setup that they were willing to retest using
tsung.

On a single client rather than the client farm, tsung pushed their setup
to an halt under heavy load... and that was with older erlang limits of
about 800 connections per node, now it's on the 50000 connections per
node ballpark IIRC.

Just saying :)
--
dim