Re: ToDo: log plans of cancelled queries

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ToDo: log plans of cancelled queries
Date: 2013-01-11 15:31:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What do you thinking about this feature?

The idea of expecting an add-on module to execute operations in an
already-failed transaction seems pretty dubious to me. I also think
it's not a great idea to add partial executions into a query's stats.
For instance, suppose query X has been done 3 times and took a minute
each time. The fourth time, the user cancels it after one second.
If we now report that the query's average execution time is 45 seconds
or so, that seems pretty misleading to me.