Re: location for pgdata

From: Jason Earl <jason(dot)earl(at)simplot(dot)com>
To: julesa(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: location for pgdata
Date: 2002-01-10 15:02:44
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Jules Alberts" <julesa(at)arbodienst-limburg(dot)nl> writes:

> On 9 Jan 2002 at 10:11, Josh Berkus wrote:
> <snip>
> > 4 rules:
> > 1. The pgsql/data directory, as all pgsql/ directories, must belong to
> > the postgres user. 2. The database will grow, and the log file sizes
> > will fluctuate constantly. So you want plenty of extra partition space.
> > 3. Nothing other than Postgres data and files should be in the data
> > directory to avoid overwriting important files. 4. You and anybody else
> > who uses the system should be able to identify the Postgres directory
> > easily.
> >
> > I fulfill the above by putting the data in /usr/local/pgsql/data, but
> > then putting that directory on its own partition. You could do it by
> > putting it in /var/pgsql/data/.
>
> hi Josh,
>
> thanks for reacting.
>
> since the (test) server will be mainly a database server, i made my
> /var the biggest partition and put the pg data in there. but, is there
> any convention or default on where pg data are placed? i ask this to
> make sure i don't run into trouble with an upgrade / RPM / DEB by
> making an exotic choice now.

Debian puts the PostgreSQL data in /var/lib/postgres and the PGDG RPMs
(the ones that PostgreSQL produces) puts the data in /var/lib/pgsql .
One other thing to think about. If your machine has more than one
hard drive moving the pg_xlog directory to another spindle (and using
a symlink in your data directory) can really be helpful performance
wise, but you want to have plenty of room for the log files to grow.

Jason