Re: trigger/for key help

From: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bret Hughes <bhughes(at)elevating(dot)com>, Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>, postgresql sql list <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: trigger/for key help
Date: 2004-04-13 06:20:00
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Bret Hughes <bhughes(at)elevating(dot)com> writes:
> > FWIW I tried to use alter table but could never get the parser to accept
> > $1 as a constraint name. I used single and double quotes as well as a
> > lame attempt \$1.
>
> Hm, "$1" works for me ...

Hm, this reminds me. When I was first learning this stuff I was stymied by the
same issue. It took me quite a while to figure out how to drop constraints
because of the quoting issue.

Of course now it seems obvious, but for someone just starting it adds another
roadblock. Is there a reason postgres goes out of its way to pick names that
will be harder to work with than necessary?

Or is it considered a good thing on the theory that if it's hard to reference
it's also hard to accidentally use such names in conflicting ways?

Perhaps names like _1 _2 ... would be easier to handle?
Or perhaps making $ not require quoting would be helpful?

--
greg