Re: [HACKERS] kqueue

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mateusz Guzik <mjguzik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Keith Fiske <keith(at)omniti(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] kqueue
Date: 2018-09-28 07:01:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Thomas,

On 28/09/2018 00:55, Thomas Munro wrote:
> I would like to commit this patch for PostgreSQL 12, based on this
> report. We know it helps performance on macOS developer machines and
> big FreeBSD servers, and it is the right kernel interface for the job
> on principle. Matteo Beccati reported a 5-10% performance drop on a
> low-end Celeron NetBSD box which we have no explanation for, and we
> have no reports from server-class machines on that OS -- so perhaps we
> (or the NetBSD port?) should consider building with WAIT_USE_POLL on
> NetBSD until someone can figure out what needs to be fixed there
> (possibly on the NetBSD side)?

Thanks for keeping me in the loop.

Out of curiosity (and time permitting) I'll try to spin up a NetBSD 8 VM
and run some benchmarks, but I guess we should leave it up to the pkgsrc
people to eventually change the build flags.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati

Development & Consulting - http://www.beccati.com/