Re: TODO item

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: TODO item
Date: 2009-03-28 14:38:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> The unnest() implementation is largely unrelated to the standard
>> one, which is impossible to provide without LATERAL.

Bruce> I removed the duplicate item; we can add more details about
Bruce> what additional functionality we need once we get user
Bruce> feedback.

The missing functionality from the spec is:

1) select ... from foo, unnest(foo.bar); -- UNNEST is implicitly LATERAL

2) multiple arrays: select * from unnest(a,b);

3) expansion of composite arrays: unnest(a) should return as many
columns as there are in the elements of a, not just one composite
column

4) WITH ORDINALITY - adds a column to the result with the array index

It's point (1) that's the killer - without it, unnest() is just a
trivial shorthand for stuff that can be done anyway; it doesn't
actually add any functionality.

--
Andrew.