Re: schemas for organizing tables

From: Seb <spluque(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: schemas for organizing tables
Date: 2011-04-29 01:42:34
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:15:05 -0700,
John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com> wrote:

> On 04/28/11 5:51 PM, Seb wrote:
>> Hi,

>> A database I'm handling is becoming a bit large'ish (~ 30 tables),
>> and I'd like to break them down into their natural units. Schemas
>> for each of these natural units seems logical, but are they really
>> meant for this? I'm also worried about how this would affect
>> programs like Libreoffice (the sdbc driver in particular)?

> 30 tables is really not that many. we have schemas with 200 tables in
> databases with 6 or 10 different schemas.

> we use schemas to separate out data that is rarely used together,
> typically each schema is for different application classes.

Thanks, this is exactly what I have in mind. The last paragraph in
section 5.7.7 of the documentation is somewhat ominous regarding the use
of schemas if at some point one has to work with other DBMS that don't
support schemas. I suppose this means trouble if at some point one
needs to move the database to a DBMS not supporting schemas or that does
so differently.

> as far as liberoffice goes, I have no idea, but you should be able to
> refer to schemaname.tablename regardless.

I'll look into this.

Thanks,

--
Seb