Re: Support retrieving value from any sequence

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Support retrieving value from any sequence
Date: 2015-07-14 17:06:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> writes:
> On 14 July 2015 at 17:17, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Since it's trivial to define this function if you need it, I'm not
>> sure there's a reason to include it in core.

> It's not always possible to create functions on a system when access
> is restricted. It may even be the case that procedural languages are
> prohibited, and plpgsql has been removed.

By that argument, *any* random function has to be in the core.

I really don't see what's wrong with "SELECT last_value FROM sequence",
especially since that has worked in every Postgres version since 6.x.
Anyone slightly worried about backwards compatibility wouldn't use
an equivalent function even if we did add one.