CREATE OR REPLACE AGGREGATE?

From: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATE OR REPLACE AGGREGATE?
Date: 2019-03-17 07:35:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

So some PostGIS people were griping (on irc) about how the lack of
CREATE OR REPLACE AGGREGATE made their life difficult for updates. It
struck me that aggregates have acquired a relatively large number of new
attributes in recent years, almost all of which are applicable at
execution time rather than in parse analysis, so having a CREATE OR
REPLACE option seems like a no-brainer.

I took a bash at actually writing it and didn't see any obvious problems
(I'll post the patch in a bit). Is there some reason (other than
shortage of round tuits) why this might not be a good idea, or why it
hasn't been done before?

--
Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)