Re: Improving count(*)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Improving count(*)
Date: 2005-11-17 21:34:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bearing in mind other RDBMS' approach is to count the number of rows in
> an index, their cost is probably about the same as scanning table
> blocks/10 very roughly - so the cost is far from zero for them.

Really? The impression I get is that people who ask for this expect the
answer to be instantaneous, ie they think the system will maintain a
running net total for each table. (In a non-MVCC system that isn't
necessarily an unreasonable thing to do.)

I really can't get excited about adding this level of complexity and
overhead to the system just to support COUNT(*)-with-no-WHERE slightly
better than we do now.

The triggers-and-deltas approach previously proposed seems considerably
more attractive to me, because (1) it's not invasive and (2) you only
have to pay the overhead on tables where you want it.