Re: use pg_get_functiondef() in pg_dump

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: use pg_get_functiondef() in pg_dump
Date: 2020-08-15 14:36:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> I wouldn't say that it's *fundamentally* new, but nonethless it disturbs
> me that this proposal has pg_dump assembling CREATE FUNCTION commands in
> very different ways depending on the server version. I'd rather see us
> continuing to build the bulk of the command the same as before, and
> introduce new behavior only for deparsing the function body.

BTW, a concrete argument for doing it that way is that if you make a
backend function that does the whole CREATE-FUNCTION-building job in
exactly the way pg_dump wants it, that function is nigh useless for
any other client with slightly different requirements. A trivial
example here is that I don't think we want to become locked into
the proposition that psql's \ef and \sf must print functions exactly
the same way that pg_dump would.