Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Append to a GUC parameter ?
Date: 2014-08-07 22:10:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Fabrízio de Royes Mello wrote:

>> > [shrug...] You can do that today with current_setting()/set_config().
>>
>> With a very simple statement you can do that:
>
> Of course, this doesn't solve the requirement that started this thread,
> which is about having "includeable" pg.conf fragments to enable
> extensions.
ISTM the idea of a token in the value string that would expand to an
existing setting s/b general purpose enough to allow for prepend/append
and not require adding a new opperator as += or whatever.

I say this without knowing just exactly what the implementation effort
is but just to reiterate the original intent.

I think someone already suggest this upthread.

shared_preload_libraries = '%,more_libs'
shared_preload_libraries = 'more_libs,%'

At conclusion of file processing, stripping off an unnecessary delimiter
at beginning or end of string would be a nice asthetic feature and/or
might be required depending on whether an empty list value is legal.

Thanks

> --
> Álvaro Herrera http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting
e: postgres(dot)consulting(at)comcast(dot)net
p: 312.241.7800