Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot

From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <tih(at)nhh(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Brian P Millett <bpm(at)ec-group(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] postmaster failure with 2-23 snapshot
Date: 1999-02-25 06:52:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> A stock version of 6.4.x creates a shared memory segment of about
> 830K if you don't alter the default -B setting. Thanks to some
> changes I made recently in the memory space estimation stuff,
> the current CVS sources will try to make a shm segment of about
> 1100K with the default -B and -N settings.

Have there also been changes to the semaphore usage over the last 10
days? A February 15th snapshot is fine on my systems, as long as I
apply the patches that appeared here yesterday to get Kerberos going,
but after 'cvs update' yesterday (February 23rd), the postmaster is
refusing to start, claiming that semget() failed to allocate a block
of 16 semaphores. The default maximum here is 60 semaphores, so I
guess it must have allocated at least 44 of them before the failure.

This is under NetBSD/i386-1.3I.

-tih
--
Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity. --Niles Crane, "Frasier"