Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN

From: Vik Fearing <vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Default gucs for EXPLAIN
Date: 2020-05-23 16:33:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 5/23/20 6:12 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> The patch adds new GUCs for each explain() option.

Thank you for looking at it!

> Would it be better to make a GUC called default_explain_options which might say
> "COSTS ON, ANALYZE ON, VERBOSE OFF, BUFFERS TBD, FORMAT TEXT, ..."
> ..and parsed using the same thing that parses the existing options (which would
> need to be factored out of ExplainQuery()).
I do not think that would be better, no.

> Do we really want default_explain_analyze ?
> It sounds like bad news that EXPLAIN DELETE might or might not remove rows
> depending on the state of a variable.

I have had sessions where not using ANALYZE was the exception, not the
rule. I would much prefer to type EXPLAIN (ANALYZE OFF) in those cases.

> I think this should be split into two patches:
> One to make the default explain options configurable, and a separate patch to
> change the defaults.

This patch does not change the defaults, so I'm not sure what you mean here?
--
Vik Fearing