Append to a GUC parameter ?

From: Jerry Sievers <gsievers19(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Append to a GUC parameter ?
Date: 2014-08-05 18:12:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Using the 'include' keyword in postgresql.conf let's us do groovy things
like paste together pieces of general purpose configs into the working file.

-- But since all we can do is set/reset the parameters the possibility
of concatenating fragments that use some of the list parameters won't
work.

To wit; suppose we had a fragment for enabling auto_explain and another
for enabling pg_stat_statements.

Both of these require us to put something in shared_preload_libraries
and both make use of custom_variable_classes.

Just FWIW... Something like...

shared_preload_libraries += auto_explain

Would do the trick.

I've never heard this mentioned before so presume not many have
contemplated this.

Comments?

Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting
e: postgres(dot)consulting(at)comcast(dot)net
p: 312.241.7800