Re: [patch] build issues on Win32

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des(at)des(dot)no>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [patch] build issues on Win32
Date: 2010-03-12 10:50:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Any such platform would already be contending with plpgsql not working,
> encoding conversion not working, etc etc. It's barely conceivable that
> a client-only installation would be useful.

Uh, I don't understand why it's so hard to conceive that someone might
need the client library to access a database running on one machine from
an application running on another.

> AFAICT the only case where anyone tries to do this is they have a
> personal preference to avoid shared libraries, for generally-pretty-
> darn-dubious reasons.

Well, statically linked binaries are much easier to distribute, for one;
and there are platforms where shared libraries simply do not exist, or
where the entire system runs in a single namespace. Netware is still
alive and kicking.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des(at)des(dot)no