From: "Drouvot, Bertrand" <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu)" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Ashutosh Sharma <ashu(dot)coek88(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Synchronizing slots from primary to standby
Date: 2023-11-24 08:23:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 11/24/23 4:35 AM, Zhijie Hou (Fujitsu) wrote:
> On Thursday, November 23, 2023 11:45 PM Drouvot, Bertrand <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> IOW, the logical slot's LSN can still be advanced after the
> walreceiver shutdown if it was far bebind the physical slot's LSN.

oh yeah right, it would need much more work/discussion to handle this case.

As mentioned up-thread for publisher/subscriber I think it's fine
(thanks to the replication origin linked to the subscriber) but for
anything else that don't make use of replication origin (or similar
approach to re-start the decoding from the right place after promotion)
I feel like the user experience is not as good.

It may not be worth it to work on it for V1 but maybe something to keep
in mind as improvement for later?

Regards,

--
Bertrand Drouvot