Re: Differentiating different Open Source databases

From: "Nasby, Jim" <JNasby(at)enovafinancial(dot)com>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Differentiating different Open Source databases
Date: 2011-05-16 22:56:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On May 16, 2011, at 5:09 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> "Nasby, Jim" <JNasby(at)enovafinancial(dot)com> writes:
>> An opinion I often run across when talking to database people who haven't
>> dealt with Postgres is "open source databases aren't very good". In all
>
> Well I'm not sure how closely related/relevant it is, but I find more
> and more people thinking they should take the NoSQL pill because frankly
> you only get so far with Oracle and MySQL.
>
> They should also hear the message that PostgreSQL is quite another
> beast, and its role into your software architecture can be very
> different from those first two. Because of technical facts and also
> licencing policies, of course.

Do we have any contacts at magazines or other publications? Is there a way we could get some kind of article published?

Also, does anyone know any recent hard-core converts (I suppose we can ask on -general). Perhaps we could do a series of interviews of people that used to think "OSS databases are toys" and have changed their minds...
--
Jim "Decibel!" Nasby jnasby(at)EnovaFinancial(dot)com
Primary: 512-579-9024 Backup: 512-569-9461