Re: How to generate the new expected out file.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, jian he <jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to generate the new expected out file.
Date: 2023-01-12 03:32:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 12, 2023 at 4:39 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
>> On 2023-01-05 16:22:01 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>> You can run the tests and copy the required changes from
>>> src/test/regress/output/interval.out to
>>> src/test/regress/expected/interval.out

>> Wonder if we should have a bit of content about that in doc/src/sgml/regress.sgml?

> Yeah, I think it could be useful, especially for new people. The other
> option could be to add some information in src/test/regress/README/

Yeah, regress.sgml is more aimed at consumers of the regression tests
than developers. I could see expanding the README to include some
developer tips.

In this case I can think of another important tip, which is to be
sure to update all of the variant expected-files when a test has
more than one of them. If you are not in a position to reproduce
all of the variants directly (say, there's a Windows-specific
expected-file and you're not on Windows) it often works to take
the diff you have for one variant and apply it to the other(s).
If that's not quite right, well, the cfbot or buildfarm will
help you out eventually.