Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC converts text fields?

From: Aleksey Demakov <avd(at)avd(dot)garsib(dot)ru>
To: Tsopa Denis Vladimirovich <denis(at)oracle(dot)hcc(dot)khabarovsk(dot)su>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] Re: [QUESTIONS] ODBC converts text fields?
Date: 1998-03-11 07:11:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

> On Tue, 10 Mar 1998, Tsopa Denis Vladimirovich wrote:
>
> > Hi, All!
> >
> > I work with PostgreSQL (6.3) via PostODBC (0.35a). I use Builder C++ on
> > Windows 95 as a PostgreSQL frontend. When I try to insert row into
> > PostgreSQL table using SQL command 'INSERT' via ODBC driver, I get
> > a trouble. The text string in inserted row is in cyrillic code page (KOI8R)
> > and ODBC driver coverts this string to another code.
> > What do I have to make to avoid it?
> > Thanx.

AFAIK, the PostODBC driver does not perform any character translations.
Though I have seen something about recoding in the PostgreSQL 6.3 (see
postgresql-6.3/src/data). I don't yet looked closer at this.

BTW, how do you get koi8 under windows? Do you recode text by yourself
from the windows encoding before sending it to postgres? And when you
get the text back do you recode it back?

--
Aleksey Demakov <avd(at)avd(dot)garsib(dot)ru>