Re: shared-memory based stats collector

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz, thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com, tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, a(dot)zakirov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru, ah(at)cybertec(dot)at, magnus(at)hagander(dot)net, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: shared-memory based stats collector
Date: 2020-03-09 19:04:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> I'm worried that we're causing all processes to terminate when an
>> archiver dies in some ugly way; but in the current coding, it's pretty
>> harmless and we'd just start a new one. I think this needs to be
>> reconsidered. As far as I know, pgarchiver remains unconnected to
>> shared memory so a crash-restart cycle is not necessary. We should
>> continue to just log the error message and move on.

> Why is it worth having the archiver be "robust" that way?

I'd ask a different question: what the heck is this patchset doing
touching the archiver in the first place? I can see no plausible
reason for that doing anything related to stats collection. If we
now need some new background processing for stats, let's make a
new postmaster child process to do that, not overload the archiver
with unrelated responsibilities.