Re: SIGSEGV in BRIN autosummarize

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SIGSEGV in BRIN autosummarize
Date: 2017-10-17 12:59:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/17/2017 02:29 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 17, 2017 at 12:59:16PM +0200, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Anyway, can give this patch a try?
>
> I've only compiled postgres once before and this is a production environment
> (althought nothing so important that the crashes are a serious concern either).
>
> Is it reasonable to wget the postgres tarball, apply the patch, and run the
> compiled postgres binary from the source tree, without running make install or
> similar ? Otherwise, would it be good enough to copy the postgres binary to
> /usr/pgsql-10/bin (and reinstall the binary package later) ?

You don't have to install the binaries to the same location, i.e. you
can keep both the current and modified binaries.

./configure --prefix=/path/to/alternative/binaries --enable-debug
CFLAGS="..."

To get the same compilation options you can run pg_config, look for
CONFIGURE line and then just modify add --prefix option.

And after `make install` you can add it to $PATH and start the server
using those binaries.

$ export PATH=/path/to/alternative/binaries/bin:$PATH
$ which pg_ctl
$ pg_ctl -D $DATADIR stop
$ pg_ctl -D $DATADIR start

regards