Re: ISBN: dump from 64bits and restore on 32 bits fail, Datum?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel Cristian Cruz <danielcristian(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ISBN: dump from 64bits and restore on 32 bits fail, Datum?
Date: 2011-08-10 22:58:49
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Daniel Cristian Cruz <danielcristian(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm in a project where there is one development server with 32bits
> architecture and all the others are 64 bits.

> The server where I generate the base models (in sense of version) is a 64
> bit. Dump and restore from this machine to all others 64bits development
> servers works well. When I try to restore it in the 32 bits server, it
> returns the following errors:

> [pg9(at)server ~]$ createdb isbn -T template0
> [pg9(at)server ~]$ pg_restore -d isbn /tmp/isbn.backup
> *ERROR: internal size 8 is invalid for passed-by-value type*

This isn't a bug ... you need to load the appropriate version of
contrib/isn for that server. Admittedly, pg_dump doesn't make that
terribly easy (it will work a lot better in 9.1 with the extensions
infrastructure). In existing releases the best advice is to load
the .sql file for the contrib module, then source the dump, ignoring
the object-already-exists errors you get for the module's objects.