Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

From: Jennifer Trey <jennifer(dot)trey(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)potentialtech(dot)com>
Cc: BRUSSER Michael <Michael(dot)BRUSSER(at)3ds(dot)com>, gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Date: 2009-06-03 22:34:07
Lists: pgsql-general

The research is based on hypotheses and assumptions which in the end can
be discarded or not. I do not know these things, I am taking one step at
time, learning and trying.
I don't understand what kind of research you want me to do. I don't have any
performance problem other than that images seems to get stuck on occasion,
with a certain amount of users.This is what I've got, and I have spent
several weeks reaching this stage. I started by removing a router and
arranging another internet, benchmarking the application, study the network
card, switching to Apache Server and I have ruled all of them out. I have
now come to the disk, and here its postgre thats most active and its
starting to feel right, but I could be wrong but what other leads do I have?

Since even a select count(*) outside my application is causing this I do not
understand what conclusion I should take. After all, you said it yourself,
you do not get any writes, why do I ? With perfmon under heavy load I
registered 4000 I/0 transefers / sec and they where all writes so I think I
am getting closer.

Here is a similar one but on linux
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-admin/2005-12/msg00266.php

I am will try turn the stats off, but I am not sure how that might affect
the db's internal stats on how to best run a query, what indices is good or
not.. ?

Thanks / Jennifer