Re: WAL files backup

From: pedro noticioso <cucnews(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL files backup
Date: 2007-02-14 23:38:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Everyone please excuse the mistake in my previous
question, there is a lot in my mind.

We are already creating a complete backup every day,
and would like to have WAL files to restore up to the
last minute of course.

Acording to

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-ARCHIVE-COMMAND
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL

I tried a couple of them and got an error messages
stating that WAL archiving was not activated, so, how
can I activate it? thanks

these docs explain a lot but are not practical like
the ones in howtoforge.com for example ;)

In regards to my previous question, I did not check
what I wrote, what I meant is that the 16*1024*1024
WAL file size is too big for us because we handle just
a few KB per day of information, so are interested in
a smaller WAL file size, perhaps 1024*1024 or even
less so that we can backup the files in less media
space, but in the postgresql(at)freenode(dot)net IRC channel
I was told that I would make the database work slower
if I make a WAL file too small, what is your take on
the matter? recomendation? etc?

thanks a lot!

--- "Eduardo J. Ortega" <ejortegau(at)cable(dot)net(dot)co>
wrote:

> For what i understand, the WAL files only record
> changes to the database, so
> each WAL segment is absolutely different from the
> previous one. As a matter
> of fact, each WAL file is the incremental backup you
> want to make (provided
> you have already taken a base or level 0 backup).
>
> On Monday 12 February 2007 13:42, pedro noticioso
> wrote:
> > hi there
> >
> > I lightly read this

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup-online.html

> > and am interested in creating an incremental
> backup of
> > WAL files, but my database is small so each of
> this
> > WAL files must be almost identical to the previous
> > one.
> >
> > Is there a way to incrementally backup so that it
> > takes less space?
> >
> > thanks!

> >_________ Finding fabulous fares is fun.
> > Let Yahoo! FareChase search your favorite travel
> sites to find flight and
> > hotel bargains.

> cleanly
>
> --
> Eduardo J. Ortega - Linux user #222873
> "No fake - I'm a big fan of konqueror, and I use it
> for everything." -- Linus
> Torvalds

> TIP 7: You can help support the PostgreSQL project
> by donating at
>

> http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/