postgresql.conf.*

From: Paul Ramsey <pramsey(at)refractions(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: postgresql.conf.*
Date: 2006-01-04 06:09:26
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I just told yet another person to watch out that PgSQL ships with a
conservative .conf file and would require tuning for best performance...

Is there any reason we cannot ship with 3 .conf files? For each one,
note the minimum system configuration required to support it.

postgresql.conf.standard (current)
postgresql.conf.medium (1Gb of RAM, IDE RAID 1 (7200RPM))
postgresql.conf.performance (4Gb of RAM, SCSI RAID 10 (10000RPM))

I guess this gets back to auto-tuning scripts, and the difficulty of
that, but it seems silly that every single person who installs
postgresql has to independently learn that no, their shared_buffers
need to be turned up. Assuming they don't give up early and assume
that PgSQL performance sucks (as popular myth would have them believe
to start with).

P.