regarding contains operator

From: "surabhi(dot)ahuja" <surabhi(dot)ahuja(at)iiitb(dot)ac(dot)in>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: regarding contains operator
Date: 2006-03-08 09:43:40
Lists: pgsql-general

i have a field whose type is varchar(16)

and the field is multivalued, in the sense it is of the form

abc\def\tez
(i.e. backslash separed values)

please tell me is there any operator available which enables me to do the following:

field contains <some value>

eg field contains "abc" should return true, similary for def or tez

if it is not ther can i write my own operators? abd use them please send me the link where i can find documnetation on the same
thanks,
regards
Surabhi Ahuja