Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Need help with Visual Basic 6 and PostgreSQL
Date: 2007-11-23 14:39:19
Lists: pgsql-odbc

--- On Thu, 11/22/07, Finn Lassen <dcio(at)AxiomInt(dot)com> wrote:
> 2007-11-22 20:21:14 ERROR: column "" of relation
> "Contact1"
> does not exist at character 40
>
> 2007-11-22 20:21:14 STATEMENT: BEGIN;insert into
> "public"."Contact1" ("",
> "Ext4", "(", "Address2",

Does your table really have all of these field names? In addition to the "" field, I am suspicious of the "(" field. I am curious, if the ado recordset is seeing more fields than the table actually has. Since you weren't able to display the field that didn't exist in the table, you could possible determine if it is a ascii character by getting its charcode()(or something equivalent).

If you indeed find that your recordset does indeed see fields that do not exist in the table, then it is very likely that you have found a bug with the ODBC driver. It would help the developers to correct this problem if you were to submit a small test case that is able to reproduce the effects that you are seeing. It should include a sample database with sample table and it should include the VB codes that creates the recordset and then attempts to send an update to the table. They will probably want you to submit two of the ODBC drivers logs ( Mylog and Commlog ). These can be turned ON from your odbc drivers DSN user interface. (Just remember to turn off all odbc logging when your testing is done since odbc logging is a major performance killer.)

What version number of PostgreSQL are you running. What is the version number of the ODBC driver that you are using? Are they the latest released versions?