Re: PG vs MySQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>, "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alex <alex(at)meerkatsoft(dot)com>, Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG vs MySQL
Date: 2004-03-29 20:54:04
Lists: pgsql-general

"scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> since the purpose of the pg_hba.conf file is to ensure that you never
> manage to lock yourself out of your database, might it make sense to have
> a pg_hba table in each database that can be / will be / should be(???)
> overidden by the pg_hba.conf file,

I don't think we want user authentication driven off of actual tables.
That would mean paying *all* the costs of backend launch before we could
reject an invalid connection request.

It might be possible to do something with a flat file as an intermediary
between the postmaster and the tables that are the master data. We
already do this for pg_shadow passwords, and I've been thinking of
proposing that we add a flat file for the database name -> OID mapping
so we could get rid of the horrid hack that is GetRawDatabaseInfo().
Per-database flat files would be a bit messy though.