Queries with 'AND' clauses not returning results

From: "Jonathan Mast" <jonathan(dot)h(dot)mast(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Queries with 'AND' clauses not returning results
Date: 2007-11-26 20:24:04
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

I have some jsp with calls to our pg database, and yes, I know this is
not the optimal way to do it, but we can't stop everything to
re-engineer our website to use Struts or whatever.

That said, the problem is that statements such as:
"SELECT * FROM tbl_someTable WHERE email='nobody(at)nowhere(dot)com' ;
work fine

while statements like this don't work (no records returned):
"SELECT * FROM tbl_someTable WHERE email='nobody(at)nowhere(dot)com' AND
password='abcd'";
And quoting the field 'password' doesn't make a difference.

I know such records actually exist because I'm printing out the query
on the webpage, copying it to pgAdmin and executing with results.

I have no idea why its not working.

specs:
Apache 1.3.33
Tomcat 5.5.17