Re: Stuck spins in current

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Stuck spins in current
Date: 2001-03-20 01:08:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM> writes:
>> "Vadim Mikheev" <vmikheev(at)sectorbase(dot)com> writes:
> Anyway, deadlock in my tests are very correlated with new log file
> creation - something probably is still wrong...
>>
>> Well, if you can reproduce it easily, seems like you could
>> get in there and verify or disprove my theory about where
>> the deadlock is.

> You were right - deadlock disappeared.

Okay, good. I'll bet the correlation to new-log-file was just because
the WAL insert_lck gets held for a longer time than usual if XLogInsert
is forced to call XLogWrite and that in turn is forced to make a new
log file. Were you running with wal_files = 0? The problem would
likely not have shown up at all if logfiles were created in advance...

> BTW, I've got ~320tps with 50 clients inserting (int4, text[1-256])
> records into 50 tables (-B 16384, wal_buffers = 256) on Ultra10
> with 512Mb RAM, IDE (clients run on the same host as server).

Not bad. What were you getting before these recent changes?