Re: Unable to recovery due missing wal_file

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Patrick B <patrickbakerbr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unable to recovery due missing wal_file
Date: 2016-07-04 04:06:31
Lists: pgsql-general

On 07/03/2016 06:21 PM, Patrick B wrote:

> Not sure that would have mattered for the reasons below.
>
> You might want to take a look at the below:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal.html
>
> In particular:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal-intro.html
>
> Short version WAL files are essential to restoring and on the
> originating server are recycled, subject to the configuration
> parameters explained here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/wal-configuration.html
>
> So the wal archiving you have set up is not storing everything, it
> removes older files over time?
>

> Yes... it removes... I've changed to store them for up to 72h.

You say it took 10 days to run the pg_basebackup, so I am not keeping
the last 72 hrs is going to help.

> I'll restart the process now, by using stream instead fletch.

Remember:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/app-pgbasebackup.html

--xlog-method=method

"This will include all transaction logs generated during the backup."

Given that you WAL archiving for a period less then 72 hrs generated
over 500GB of files, do you have the space to store 10 days worth?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com