Re: Porting to Native WindowsNT/2000

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "'Jean-Michel POURE'" <jmpoure(at)axitrad(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Porting to Native WindowsNT/2000
Date: 2001-09-04 07:14:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks Tom,

> > It's not quite as simple as that. You can run it as a
> service under the > SRVANY program, but that doesn't provide
> for a clean shut-down. Has anybody > written an NT service
> wrapper for Postgresql?
>
> IIRC, Jason Tishler was working on one awhile back. Check
> the mailing list archives.

Jason and others have indeed have indeed got it running as a service using
Cygwins cygrunsrv program. I'm now using this configuration for pgAdmin
hacking on my laptop and it works well.

> As far as the general topic goes: this has come up several
> times before, and the conclusion has always been that a
> native Windows port would require effort (both initial, and
> ongoing maintenance) vastly out of proportion to the reward.
>
> But it occurs to me that it might be useful to provide a
> downloadable package that includes both the Postgres server
> and as much of Cygwin as you need to run it, all wrapped up
> in a nice friendly installer.

Jean-Michel Poure and I were discussing this yesterday and were looking into
writing a plugin for pgAdmin II that will guide the users through installing
minimal Cygwin with PostgreSQL & the IPC-Daemon on their system. The idea is
that they download and install pgAdmin which is a simple procedure for the
Windows user (== non *nix user) then run a wizard which downloads and sets
up the rest for them so they end up with a working PostgreSQL, running as a
service, with pgAdmin as the admin front end.

We're also looking into a pg_hba.conf editor to make it easier to write and
test pg_hba.conf files.

Regards, Dave.