RE: extremely newbie questions

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'Nicholas Chan'" <yumin(at)pl(dot)jaring(dot)my>, "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: extremely newbie questions
Date: 2001-01-22 08:17:25
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

You will also need to install the PostgreSQL ODBC driver which can be
obtained from ftp.postgresql.org

> 1) I want to test out PostgreSQL on a windows platform, so is there
> anything else I have to install other than the software
> I have mentioned above? I assume that pgAdmin is something like
> MSSQL server, or am I wrong? is it just a frontend?

pgAdmin is more like SQL's Enterprise Manager (in function, not design) - it
is not the dbms itself.

> 2) where can I find a sample database which can be used for pgAdmin?
> Can any regular database created by Microsoft Access be used?
> (*.mdb)

No, you you can't use mdb's (though pgAdmin can migrate them for you). You
need to install PostgreSQL on your linux box - you can get this from
ftp.postgresql.org, or some distros such as Suse and Redhat come with rpms.

> 3) i've tried creating a PostgreSQL ODBC connection with a Microsoft
> Access database, but when I start pgAdmin and connect to the
> source i've specified, this error message appears:

Yes, that will happen because pgAdmin is expecting to be connected to
PostgreSQL.

Regards,

Dave.