RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [INTERFACES] pgAdmin v6.5.1 Release
Date: 1999-08-27 07:33:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

[...]

> Every substantial package has to give up on
> backwards compatability at some juncture -- although I
> believe that any
> serious PostgreSQL user should be reading the HACKERS list --
> if nothing
> else so they can get Tom Lane's initdb warnings.

It's not even really a backward compatibility thing here. It's because files
like msvcrt20.dll are locked open by Windows at from a very early point
during system startup. This prevents them from being updated.

[...]

> The only errors I got were due to the Read-Only box being checked --
> which caused a barf. Although, that was only the first time
> through -- I
> can't get it to repeat the barf. But, it was a quite cryptic error
> message.

You should have got a message like:

This datasource is currently Read Only. Any attempts to modify the database
will fail.

However I've just noticed that the connection is currently being checked
*after* the creation of pgAdmins 'helper objects' (views/tables etc.). I've
corrected this for the next release. This is only done once which is
probably why you no longer get the cryptic message from DAO.

[...]

> Just as a suggestion -- Microsoft does not link from the MDAC download
> page to the DCOM page -- could you maybe place a link to that on your
> page? That would help a little, I think.

Will do...

[...]

> The tree-style view of the table and column definitions are nice (of
> course, it makes me really feel the absence of ALTER TABLE ALTER
> COLUMN....)

:-(

> It even gives me a good error message when I attempt to view the
> contents of pg_log and pg_variable.... Although, I am at a loss to
> understand WHY I can't view either of these two system tables.... I
> know, "Use the Source, Luke..."
>
> The button help (the pop-up) for Add Column is wrong -- it
> tells me that
> this button is to "rename the selected column." This is the
> only error
> I have yet seen. Good Job!

Fixed - and thanks again for the comments.

Regards,

Dave.

--
Dave Page, Network & Systems Manager, The Vale Housing Association Ltd.
http://www.vale-housing.co.uk (Work)