problems with large objects

From: Wolfgang Hottgenroth <woho(at)ieee(dot)org>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: problems with large objects
Date: 1999-08-27 17:21:05
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi.

I use the postgreSQL-database-system and esspecially I do some work with
the large-objects, which I use through the
Perl-library. Unfortunately since I switched from 6.4.2 to 6.5.1 my
tools
refused to work. lo_import didn't work anymore.
I traced it down through the libpq, where I found that a test with
lo_lseek in the lo_open-function (file: fe-lobj.c) fails. Going deeper
into the source and drawing a trace of debug-output across some files I
switched tracing from the libpq to the backend.
Here I found in be-fsstubs.c, that after the function lo_open sets a
cookie using the function newLOfd, just this cookie will be cleared by
lo_commit, which is called by CommitTransaction (in xact.c). The handle,

handed out to the application by the library-function lo_open is now not

longer valid and the next access through this handle fails.

I attach the test-application (in Perl, named db_test), the debug-output

of the application (and the outputs in the libpq) (db_test2.log), the
debug-output of postmaster
(post2.log) and the files I patched with my debug-output (you will find
them easily because in every line I changed there is the string 'WN').

Did anyone of you ever see this problem? Is there something wrong with
my
application (which works fine with 6.4.2)?

I hope someone of you find time to have a look on the files and also I
hope he or she can
help my. I want to use the postgreSQL on an Alpha, and 6.4.2 did not run

on the Alpha (o yes, when I remove all optimisation it does). (But don't
be confused: all the test I did runs on an
Intel-Machine.)

Thanks,
Wolfgang Hottgenroth

Attachment Content-Type Size