Re: About to add WAL write/fsync statistics to pg_stat_wal view

From: Masahiro Ikeda <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Li Japin <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: About to add WAL write/fsync statistics to pg_stat_wal view
Date: 2021-01-22 13:05:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-01-22 14:50, Masahiko Sawada wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 25, 2020 at 6:46 PM Masahiro Ikeda
> <ikedamsh(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I rebased the patch to the master branch.
>
> Thank you for working on this. I've read the latest patch. Here are
> comments:
>
> ---
> + if (track_wal_io_timing)
> + {
> + INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(duration);
> + INSTR_TIME_SUBTRACT(duration, start);
> + WalStats.m_wal_write_time +=
> INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC(duration);
> + }
>
> * I think it should add the time in micro sec.
> After running pgbench with track_wal_io_timing = on for 30 sec,
> pg_stat_wal showed the following on my environment:
>
> postgres(1:61569)=# select * from pg_stat_wal;
> -[ RECORD 1 ]----+-----------------------------
> wal_records | 285947
> wal_fpi | 53285
> wal_bytes | 442008213
> wal_buffers_full | 0
> wal_write | 25516
> wal_write_time | 0
> wal_sync | 25437
> wal_sync_time | 14490
> stats_reset | 2021-01-22 10:56:13.29464+09
>
> Since writes can complete less than a millisecond, wal_write_time
> didn't increase. I think sync_time could also have the same problem.

Thanks for your comments. I didn't notice that.
I changed the unit from milliseconds to microseconds.

> ---
> + /*
> + * Measure i/o timing to fsync WAL data.
> + *
> + * The wal receiver skip to collect it to avoid performance
> degradation of standy servers.
> + * If sync_method doesn't have its fsync method, to skip too.
> + */
> + if (!AmWalReceiverProcess() && track_wal_io_timing &&
> fsyncMethodCalled())
> + INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(start);
>
> * Why does only the wal receiver skip it even if track_wal_io_timinig
> is true? I think the performance degradation is also true for backend
> processes. If there is another reason for that, I think it's better to
> mention in both the doc and comment.
> * How about checking track_wal_io_timing first?
> * s/standy/standby/

I fixed it.
As kuroda-san mentioned too, the skip is no need to be considered.

> ---
> + /* increment the i/o timing and the number of times to fsync WAL
> data */
> + if (fsyncMethodCalled())
> + {
> + if (!AmWalReceiverProcess() && track_wal_io_timing)
> + {
> + INSTR_TIME_SET_CURRENT(duration);
> + INSTR_TIME_SUBTRACT(duration, start);
> + WalStats.m_wal_sync_time +=
> INSTR_TIME_GET_MILLISEC(duration);
> + }
> +
> + WalStats.m_wal_sync++;
> + }
>
> * I'd avoid always calling fsyncMethodCalled() in this path. How about
> incrementing m_wal_sync after each sync operation?

I think if syncing the disk does not occur, m_wal_sync should not be
incremented.
It depends enableFsync and sync_method.

enableFsync is checked in each fsync method like
pg_fsync_no_writethrough(),
so if incrementing m_wal_sync after each sync operation, it should be
implemented
in each fsync method. It leads to many duplicated codes.

So, why don't you change the function to a flag whether to
sync data to the disk will be occurred or not in issue_xlog_fsync()?

> ---
> +/*
> + * Check if fsync mothod is called.
> + */
> +static bool
> +fsyncMethodCalled()
> +{
> + if (!enableFsync)
> + return false;
> +
> + switch (sync_method)
> + {
> + case SYNC_METHOD_FSYNC:
> + case SYNC_METHOD_FSYNC_WRITETHROUGH:
> + case SYNC_METHOD_FDATASYNC:
> + return true;
> + default:
> + /* others don't have a specific fsync method */
> + return false;
> + }
> +}
>
> * I'm concerned that the function name could confuse the reader
> because it's called even before the fsync method is called. As I
> commented above, calling to fsyncMethodCalled() can be eliminated.
> That way, this function is called at only once. So do we really need
> this function?

Thanks to your comments, I removed them.

> * As far as I read the code, issue_xlog_fsync() seems to do fsync even
> if enableFsync is false. Why does the function return false in that
> case? I might be missing something.

IIUC, the reason is that I thought that each fsync functions like
pg_fsync_no_writethrough() check enableFsync.

If this code doesn't check, m_wal_sync_time may be incremented
even though some sync methods like SYNC_METHOD_OPEN don't call to sync
some data to the disk at the time.

> * void is missing as argument?
>
> * s/mothod/method/

I removed them.

Regards,
--
Masahiro Ikeda
NTT DATA CORPORATION

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Add-statistics-related-to-write-sync-wal-records.patch text/x-diff 15.5 KB