Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" f
Date: 2022-01-20 13:58:39
Lists: pgsql-committers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 10:29 AM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> TAP tests: check for postmaster.pid anyway when "pg_ctl start" fails.

> This seems to have caused some kind of problem for the 017_shm.pl test:

Hmm. I think the problem is that poll_start() thinks it can just call
start() a second time after a failure. If it wasn't a true failure
but a timeout, then _pid is now set and the second call complains.

I'm not entirely sure how that scenario worked before --- maybe
pg_ctl is not picky about whether the running postmaster is the
same one it started??

Anyway it seems like we need some less-fuzzy thinking in poll_start.
Haven't absorbed enough caffeine to decide what.

A possible band-aid to get rid of the buildfarm failures is to force
a higher PGCTLTIMEOUT during poll_start.