psql listTables

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql listTables
Date: 2004-07-23 20:47:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

In examining the output of psql -E to get some templates for some
queries I'm developing, I noticed in describe.c that there is logic to
inform the final IN clause that gets printed for relkind but no similar
logic for the CASE clause.

Here's what I get from a \d in 7.4.1:

SELECT n.nspname as "Schema", c.relname as "Name",
CASE c.relkind
WHEN 'r' THEN 'table'
WHEN 'v' THEN 'view'
WHEN 'i' THEN 'index'
WHEN 'S' THEN 'sequence'
WHEN 's' THEN 'special'
END as "Type",
u.usename as "Owner"
FROM pg_catalog.pg_class c
LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_user u ON u.usesysid = c.relowner
LEFT JOIN pg_catalog.pg_namespace n ON n.oid = c.relnamespace
WHERE c.relkind IN ('r','v','S','')
AND n.nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'pg_toast')
AND pg_catalog.pg_table_is_visible(c.oid)
ORDER BY 1,2;

Such that the IN clause for c.relkind seems to preclude two of the
options ('i' and 's') in the CASE.

I realize this is a trivial issue, but it seems like logic could be
added to the CASE statement to prevent irrelevant SELECT material from
being output.

Couldn't the SELECT clause include if(showTables), etc.?

-tfo